'National Association of Biobanks and Biobanking Specialists –New Community for Promoting Biobanking
Monday, August 31, 2020
Posted by: Jayden Goh
Dear ISBER Members,
The ‘Biopreservation and Biobanking’ has recently accepted the manuscript entitled “National Association of Biobanks and Biobanking Specialists – New Community for Promoting Biobanking Ideas and Projects in Russia”. 1
This manuscript was prepared and submitted by a team of Russian scientists, who have established Russian National Association of Biobanks and Biobanking Specialists (NASBIO; see http://nasbio.ru/en/), aiming to:
1) unite professionals and research centers to create and develop a network of biobanks in Russia;
2) provide services and expertise in the field of biobanking;
3) execute research projects utilizing biobanking infrastructure and
4) facilitate integration of Russian biomedical research centers into global research initiatives.
Research biobanking is developing rapidly in Russia, with over 30 biobanks currently operating at a national level – including both human and environmental ones. Many of them became members of NASBIO. Organizational structure, aims and plans of this newly formed National Association are reviewed in this article, and a useful table listing NASBIO members is provided together with description of their specialization and contact information.
Since 2014, Russian biobanks have become members of ISBER, and ISBER conferences and resources are useful for many NASBIO members. In particular, Russian translations of the “ISBER Best Practices: Recommendations for Repositories Fourth Edition” and of its “Addendum 1: Liquid Nitrogen-Based Cryogenic Storage of Specimens” were created with the support of NASBIO members. These important resources have provided much help and guidance to many Russian biobanking specialists. Additionally, speakers from ISBER are always welcome in Russia at various NASBIO events, including annual conferences and workshops. In turn, Russian biobanks actively participate in both regional and global ISBER events.
Taken together, the founders of NASBIO and coauthors of the manuscript hope that Association will promote further development of biobanks and their networking in Russia. Furthermore, NASBIO looks forward to more contacts and successful international collaborations with global biobanking community united by ISBER.
Sergey V. Anisimov
Vice-President, Russian National Association of Biobanks and Biobanking Specialists (NASBIO)
1. S.V.Anisimov, A.N.Meshkov, A.S.Glotov, A.L.Borisova, O.P.Balanovsky, V.E.Belyaev, O.K.Granstrem, L.Yu.Grivtsova, A.Yu.Efimenko, M.S.Pokrovskaya, T.A.Semenenko, V.S.Sukhorukov, A.D.Kaprin, O.M.Drapkina. National Association of Biobanks and Biobanking Specialists – New Community for Promoting Biobanking Ideas and Projects in Russia. Biopreservation and Biobanking (Accepted).